Do you love to backpack? If so you need to come on over to Kanawa island. Kanawa island is located in Flores, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia. A small island, around 32 hectares, surrounded with vast expanse of the sea and white sands. This island impresses people because of its abundant natural wealth of beauty. There are many activities that you can do on this island, such as walking on the beach, snorkeling, scuba diving, and backpacking.
Kanawa island is a relative of the Komodo island, because Kanawa island is at the border of the Komodo island chain. Only with a distance of 15km from the port of Bajo you are able to reach Kanawa island. There are two ways to reach Kanawa Island:
- From Bali, about one hour flight
- From Bajo port, about a one hour cruise. From the Bajo port you can use three kinds of transportations, namely: personal watercraft worth IDR 250.000, Speed boat IDR 60.000 or you can use a shuttle boat with no charge. The shuttle boat is provided in the Bajo port and it only operates once a day. So if you want to take this complimentary transportation you must arrive on time at 12 pm, central Indonesia’s time.
During the one hour trip, you will feel the fresh sea air and the warmth of the sun. It is a very pleasant hour trip as long as there are no rain storms. After arriving at the pier of Kanawa Island, you will find a long walkway made of wood. Under that walkway you will find many of small sharks taking their daily naps. Kanawa island is a paradise and also a paradise for many in the waters. There are many types of starfish with different shapes and colors. In addition, there is a lot of coral pansy. When evening comes the ocean tide will be receding and you will find a lot of starfish and crabs on the seashore. The beauty of these waters makes the non snorkeler and the snorkeler entranced.
Many tourists come to Kanawa Island not only for diving or snorkeling, but also to see the beautiful sunsets from Kanawa hill. Reaching Kanawa hill is not that easy because there’s only one way to reach the hill it’s really steep and dangerous, especially during the rainy season. This hill has a few places to see the sunset. On Kanawa island electricity is only available until 11p.m. because the electricity is obtained from the solar.
There’s only one resort in Kanawa island, called Kanawa Beach Bungalows http://kanawaislandresort.com/home/. This resort offers:
- 18 Bungalows with simple accommodations.
- 10 camping areas where you can rent both the tent and area to set up the tent. Or you can also bring your own tent and only rent the area to set it up.
- Star Fish Café, is the one and only restaurant in Kanawa island. This restaurant provides Italian and Indonesian food. When dinner time arrives, all the guests come, hang out and chat with each other at this restaurant.
- Safety Stop Bar
- Massage with sea view
- Diving Center
Kanawa Island is the best island for those who want to experience the life with nature, to feel relaxed from the bustle of the crowded city atmosphere, as well as enjoying the beauty of the underwater scenery, sunsets and star-studded night.
With any travel you should always include your travel insurance policy when you make sure you have your passport and tablet. The Diplomat International travel medical insurance plan is one of the travel plans that we highly suggest when leaving your country of citizenship. This plan not only covers medical travel and evacuation cover but also the sport you will be on such as backpacking, scuba diving, or mountain climbing. Check them out here at www.adventuresportsinsurance.com.