Papua island, a superb place to visit in Indonesia. Why? For so many reasons But for one it is an amazing place to snorkel and scuba dive. Have you ever visited Raja Ampat in Papua, Indonesia? Raja Ampat is one of the best places in the world for watersports. Papua also has many beautiful views and various cultures.
First, I would like to tell you more about Papua. Papua is the largest province in Indonesia, located in the eastern part of Irian Jaya. Papua is divided into two parts; the eastern part is called Papua and the western part is called West Papua. During the Dutch colonial period, Papua was named as Nugini Belanda. But after Papua entered Indonesia, the name changed to West Irian.
Papua is more rich in art and culture than any other province in Indonesia. People in Papua are still very primitive. For example, the Dani tribe in Wamena still use Koteka. Koteka is traditional clothing made from dried pumpkin. Koteka is used for men. Women wear skirts made of reeds.
Here are some unique things about Papua:
1. Traditional Language – Every tribe in Papua has a different language, but almost all tribes in Papua understand the Indonesian language.
2. Traditional House – Traditional houses in Papua are called honai. Honai have a unique shape like a mushroom and a cone. They are small, made of wood, with hay roofs. There are no windows. The shape of the hanoi keeps out the cold.
3. Traditional Dance – Papua has several traditional dances. One is the Welcome dance. This dance is a typical dance of Papua which describes the excitement of the local people welcoming guests who have come to their village. The Welcome dance is done by folk men wearing traditional clothes.
4. Traditional Weapons – Many of the inter-ethnic wars in Papua have allowed the traditional weapons to survive, namely, the bodkin, and bows and arrows. The bodkin is weapon made from the bone of a Kasuari bird. Bows are made of bamboo or wood, the bowstring made of rattan, and the arrows made of bamboo, wood or kangaroo bone. Besides use as a weapon for war, these traditional weapons are also used for hunting.
5. Traditional Music Instruments – Papua has traditional music, often used for traditional ceremonies. One of them is Tifa. Tifa is a musical instrument that sounds like a drum. The tifa is made of hollowed logs. The top is covered with deer skin. The tifa is decorated with carvings. It is a popular Papuan souvenir.
6. Traditional Food – One of the most popular traditional foods from Papua is Papeda and Ikan Kuning sauce (yellow fish sauce). Papeda is made from pure cornstarch. Papeda is used as a substitute for rice. It is eaten with the yellow fish sauce. Other traditional dishes are grilled fish, sago worm, and bagea (cakes made from sago).
When you visit the island of Papua or traveling outside your country of residence please make sure you have superb travel medical insurance. The added peace of mind knowing that you will save thousands of dollars if you have to be evacuated or medical transported to a medical facility using the insurance company’s dime rather than your own credit card. Yes, we never think bad things will happen to us while we are on vacation. Sadly, bad things even happen to us on our fun and well deserved vacations. So for sure call one of our agents at our toll free number here in Phoenix Metro, Arizona at 866-636-9100 or email us at . We also have great travel plans that you may visit here at www.gninsurance.com.
No matter where you go on vacation, have an amazing, safe, and memory filled travels!