If you are going to travel to Indonesia to try some adventure sports, especially mountain biking, then you must go to Bali. You will experience the best mountain biking there, and can bike the varied topography in Bali. From rice terraces, to beaches, all the way to the mountains, or bike on the crowded roads of Bali. Spend the day on desolate single tracks, goat trails, and the red clay paths of Bali. You can stop at local villages during your trip where you can meet the real Balinese cultures up front, without paying high touristy prices. One thing mountain bikers are always very surprised about is that Bali is not all about hotels, beaches, and trendy shops. “Real Bali” is far more amazing than anything pictures can express. Mark my word – mountain biking in Bali is not only adventurous, but will help you see the other side (the real side) of the beautiful Balinese culture, her people, and island. Bali provides some of the best mountain bike riding and trails in Indonesia. Discover the best trails in Bali. And enjoy!
Bali is well known for mountain biking – Here are some key travel tips:
- Make sure to check out the beautiful remote beaches
- Bike to the highest mountains of Bali
- Bike to remote villages where you can see the real “non-tourist part of Bali
- See up-close how Balinese people live their lives biking down the dirt paths from village to village
- Take pictures of the breathtaking views of rice terraces and other terraced farm lands.
- But most importantly – Enjoy sharing with other mountain bikers and meet new friends!
If you want to get a preview of mountain biking in Bali, Scroll to the bottom of this page or go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkYI3TvxJA While mountain biking in Bali is fun, many of the trails are for experienced riders and require endurance, strength and fine balance. Unlike other trails around the world they are often not adequately rated and local conditions can change rapidly. Exercise caution. And make sure your international travel insurance includes mountain biking!
Check out some of the local trails here:
And for the other islands of Indonesia here:
Don’t go it alone:
There are quite a few biking groups you can connect with in Bali. Here are two that we feel you may enjoy mountain biking with:
- Bali Rides is one hundred percent owned by Indonesians. This means real genuine Indonesians who totally live for mountain biking, taking you on some gnarly bike paths. Not only that, but the owner, Mr. Ramang Kristian, is a mountain-biking addict which he excitingly confesses. Bali Riders can be located here at http://www.bali-rides.com/. Here is a link to TripAdvisor where they got 50 (out of 55) 5-star ratings!
- Another great mountain biking outfit in Bali is Bali Trail Blazers which you can find at http://www.bali-trailblazers.com/. The gal who created this business did such a great job, that when she left for her native home in England, her bike guides took over the business and has improved on it – providing you and I with the best mountain bike experience in Bali, Indonesia! You can choose to ride to the remotest corners of Bali on single tracks where you will hardly see anybody and rarely sees a mountain bike.
Just like with any great sport – accidents happen. I know since I live in Indonesia, off the island of Java, and have heard the horror stories. Thankfully, I have family here and know the ins-and-outs of our local medical facilities. But for all of you who visit Indonesia, I highly recommend getting a simple international travel insurance plan. And make sure it covers the sport you are wanting. Good Neighbor can help you in about 5 minutes via Skype or online even if you are already here! I know, we never like thinking about bad things happening but they do, even to good people!
Advice for beginners:
For newbies to mountain biking in Indonesia, there are many great sites that offer good tips on mountain biking safety. Of course, if you have “live” for mountain biking – This is old news. But for those new to the sport or are beginner-intermediate, Let’s review.
Below are 5 tips to avoid mountain bike crashes:
- Take it easy-slow on new/unfamilar trails
- Keep proper body position over your tires
- Read the trail ahead
- Don’t get distracted – Bali is Beautiful!
- Hit eject as needed – Jump off rather than hurt yourself
- Take trails equal to your experience and fitness level
Please click on this link to get to more information on mountain bike safety, http://www.bicycling.com/training/skills/5-tips-avoid-mountain-bike-crashes.
We also have some great sports travel insurance plans we feel you should consider while traveling outside your country, especially when you are mountain biking. Check out https://www.adventuresportsinsurance.com/insurance-protection-for-sports-done-on-land/ to find the best mountain biking insurance options. These plans will not only cover you while you do your sport but will take care of you throughout your trip outside your country of residence.
Writing from here in Java, enjoy Bali and all of her beauty! I know you will totally fall in love (with Bali), her people, her topography, and her culture. In fact, you may just decide to stay.
Chow for now! Your travel medical insurance team is looking after you – Our adventure sports guests.