Scuba diving is one of our passions. And besides making sure you are protected traveling to and from your dive site, the other concern is making sure you are covered for any mishaps that might happen underwater. Many travel policies are not an insurance plan for scuba diving (or cover it as a “hazardous” sport) even as an add-on, others may not cover hyperbaric chambers if you get “the bends” or decompression sickness/decompression syndrome (known as DCI/DCS). In the past, we have encouraged divers to “doubly insure” just to be safe. But now we have a policy that BOTH keeps you safe traveling to and from your dive site, AND while you are diving, INCLUDING PAYING FOR RECOMPRESSION CHAMBERS, as well as emergency treatment and evacuation by adding Adventure Sports rider-Table.
The GU Diplomat Series of hazardous sports plan is an insurance plan for scuba diving and is an option whether you are: 1.) An American going overseas on an exclusive dive trip, 2.) Are diving once or twice as part of a vacation, 3.) Are traveling from outside the USA to anywhere else in the world to dive, or 4.) You are traveling to the USA to dive. (Choose “Apply for U.S. coverage” – NOTE: This policy will not cover U.S. divers diving in the USA) All divers must be SCUBA certified.
We like this plan because it even includes diving with sharks! It’s our top choice for scuba divers everywhere. We recommend Plan D – $500, 000 or Plan E – $1,000,000 for up to age 70.
The lost luggage/equipment benefit of this policy is not very strong and only insures dive items lost or damaged as a result of rescue/evacuation and does not include cameras, etc. so we encourage anyone purchasing this plan to check with their home owners policy, or consider other options for protection of your equipment.
For Non-U.S. residents
If you are not intending to visit the U.S.A., you can save money by selecting Diplomat International whether you are a U.S. citizen traveling to dive in Barbados, or if you are an Australian scuba diving in Indonesia. Either way your coverage includes Arterial Gas Embolism (AGE) or Decompression Illness (DCI) as well as all the usual additional travel insurance benefits
- Travel sports plan that covers scuba diving (and most other adventure sports), and emergency evacuation that includes hyperbaric chamber for decompression sickness/decompression syndrome (DCI/DCS, Arterial gas embolism or AGE)
- Pre-existing conditions are covered if haven’t reoccurred in last 12 months
- Choose from $50,000 to $1,000,000 maximum medical
- $500,000 in emergency medical evacuation coverage
- Underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company rated “A” (excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Non-U.S. citizens traveling outside the U.S.A.? – Choose “Apply online” (Non-U.S.) to avoid paying for U.S. coverage
- U.S. coverage is for non-U.S. residents/citizens visiting the USA only
Benefits and options for this plan
Choose Medical Maximum: Plan A – $50,000, Plan B – $100,000, Plan C – $250,000, Plan D – $500, 000, Plan E – $1,000,000
- Persons age 70 – 79 are eligible for plans A and B
- Persons age 80+ are eligible for a maximum benefit of $20,000
Deductible Choices: $0, $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 per person/policy period
Co-Insurance: After you pay your selected deductible this plan will pay 100% of Covered Expenses outside your Home Country up to the selected policy maximum
Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation: $500,000
Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation: $50,000; ($100,000 available with the purchase of the Enhanced Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation Rider)
Return of Mortal Remains: $50,000
Emergency Medical Reunion: $50,000
Return of Minor Child: $50,000
Interruption of Trip: $5,000
Loss of Baggage: $50 per article; up to a maximum of $250
Emergency Dental Treatment
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Sudden Recurrence of a Pre-existing Condition (US Citizens only): up to $20,000; ($2,500 for age 65 and older)
- Home Country Coverage
- Athletic & Hazardous Activity Rider (required for scuba diving) – Table 1 (1.25 factor)
- War Risk Coverage Available